Our companies are backed by the Five Star Guarantee. Call one today!
2020 Guide to Smart Home DevicesAugust 18th, 2020 by
From home speakers to WIFI-connected thermostats, consumer devices are changing the way we interact with our homes. This can be an exciting opportunity to enjoy an easier, more independent lifestyle, but it can also be intimidating. There are many smart home devices, and new ones released every year. Fortunately, with a little guidance, you can start enjoying smart devices to their fullest extent in your home.
Creating a Smarter Home in 2020
Smart home technology is part of a broader trend called the internet of things. The basic idea behind IoT is that you can connect traditionally unconnected devices to the internet to allow new and useful functionality.
One of the earliest examples of this was WIFI connected printers. Rather than having to plug your printer into your computer, you can print over your local network from a laptop or even a smartphone. Smart lightbulbs are another example. Working with other connected devices, such as home speakers, they can turn on and off with a voice command rather than a switch.
As you delve deeper into the possibilities of IoT devices, you can begin to change the way your life runs. For example, you could set up your coffee maker to start a pot when your alarm goes off in the morning. You could have your lights turn on when you get home. In other words, you can automate your home to be more convenient for how you like to live your life.
For older Americans, smart home technology presents a way to maintain greater independence. For example, many people feel more comfortable with home health alert systems. They can incorporate these into IoT setups. Plus, if you have a home speaker, you can always use it to call someone without having to reach the phone.
Start thinking about whether home automation could help you. Whether you choose a DIY setup or hire someone to help you improve your home with connected devices, you will likely be happy with your smarter home.
Benefits of Smart Home Devices
You may wonder about the benefits of IoT devices. So, what’s the hype about?
- Central Management: Organizing your home is easier when all your connected devices are working together. You can conveniently control systems all over your home from your smartphone. This convenience factor may not seem like much at first. However, it can save you time, effort and frustration every day.
- Unique Functionality: Many IoT devices have unique functionality that you can’t find elsewhere. For example, you can set up your thermostat to know when you are home (based on your smartphone GPS). Smart home light bulbs can often change their light temperature depending on the time of day. So, you can enjoy more relaxing, soft lights in the evening.
- Energy Savings: Thanks to the automation and remote-control aspects of smart devices, you can often improve your energy efficiency. You can set your thermostat to turn itself down when you leave the home. You can also have your lights automatically shut off. That means you’ll never accidentally leave your lights on when you are away from home.
- New Home Insights: You may discover new things about your home and habits with a smart home. For example, you can see how often you watch television. You can also learn more about your energy consumption habits. These insights can help you to live a happier, healthier and more economical lifestyle.
- Greater Security: Many IoT devices are beneficial for security. Of course, security devices such as cameras, motion sensors and entry sensors are a big part of this. However, being able to remotely turn on your lights can help ward off would-be intruders. Numerous home automation techniques can help you enjoy a safer home.
- More Independence: People worry about living alone as they get older. The dangers of falling or simply being unable to take care of the home can be significant. However, connected devices address these concerns. With a home speaker, you are never too far from the telephone to call for help. Similarly, appliances can alert you to any dangerous faults, so you can address problems before they become emergencies.
Top Connected Devices to Buy in 2020
Making your home smarter can be a great way to improve your lifestyle. But it can be difficult to know where to start. These are some types of common connected devices that you may want to consider:
- Home Speaker: These popular digital assistants are often the centerpieces of smart home setups. They let you control your home with the sound of your voice. Need a timer while cooking? Just ask your speaker to set one for you. These are great for starting a do-it-yourself setup.
- Security System: Home security systems have existed for a long time. However, they are getting smarter and can integrate with other systems now. Want to check on your home while you are out? Watch the feed from your smartphone.
- Connected Thermostat: A new thermostat can help you control the temperature of your house even when you are away. With this, you will never forget to turn the heating down before leaving again. The right thermostat is a big part of making your home feel more comfortable. Many of these can be simply plugged into your existing HVAC system.
- Smart WIFI: Smart WIFI systems can help you connect everything together. Connectivity is at the heart of smart home technology so having the right WiFi equipment is essential.
Get Help Automating Your Home
Taking advantage of IoT devices can help you enjoy a safer, more independent and more convenient lifestyle in your home. If you want to take the next step towards a smart home, get help from a local home security and automation professional. Five Star Rated can help you find contractors like this in your area.